Thoughts, poetry, music, events, and reflections from the spiritual side of life and music by Jacquelyn Weitz.




"The Lord is My Light" Psalm 27:1

Friday, June 22, 2012

Temple Reflections

So I went to the temple two days ago... and I have to say that it was very different than I was expecting it to be!   The ceremony has much much more ritual and symbolism in it than anything I have ever experienced (or imagined myself experiencing) in Mormonism.    I am not quite sure what to feel about the experience, right now, but I believe in time I will come to know for certain what is right.  

My voice teacher, Lesley Jorden, whom I studied with for my voice degree at Montana State University in Billings, happened to be working in the temple that day and was my "guide".   That made me happy, and it was very sweet and special to have her there.  

I really liked the "initiatory" session of the temple, where I was given a blessing of health and strength by women dressed all in white (I was also dressed in white), one of whom happened to have been one of my teachers in seminary many years ago.   That was also very sweet.

But I didn't understand the second part of the ceremony very well (called the "endowment session")... I felt very uncomfortable during it and it left me feeling quite overwhelmed.     So now I am praying for God to help me know what is right and true. 

I will probably go back and see if I feel I begin to gain something there, to see beyond the ritual and symbolism to what is really being taught.    Because certainly the only purpose in learning a symbol is to understand the true meaning that the symbol is supposed to represent....

We will see.   The one thing I know for certain is that God loves me.  He has answered my prayers too many times for me not to believe that.  I am so grateful for his goodness, and I pray He will continue to bless me with answers to my prayers and guidance throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment