Thoughts, poetry, music, events, and reflections from the spiritual side of life and music by Jacquelyn Weitz.




"The Lord is My Light" Psalm 27:1

Monday, March 18, 2013

Our Deepest Trials

Have you ever been in a place before, where you are struggling, or suffering, and there is no one in the entire world whom you can talk to about it?  I've come to think that we all have been, or will come to be there at some point in our lives. 

That point where, there is a problem which only you can see, but is encompassing your entire being.  Whether it be a hurt, or a sickness, or a mental state, or an emotional pain caused by someone else, or by your own actions...

A loneliness, a loss, a deep heartache, a depression, an addiction, a deep confusion, an obsession.

One or all of these affect us all at some point or another. 

I have found myself in these states at various times in my life. First, as a child - feeling I had a problem that I could not reveal, or that I did not know how or whom to turn to.

And now sometimes I find myself in this state again.

Sometimes a deep pain invades us quite unexpectedely, and we are left shocked and helpless in some sort of crumpled heap, unable to lift ourselves up.  Sometimes it happens gradually, as we bend to choices which gradually become habits, then addictions.  Sometimes our thoughts seem to be our masters, and not we the masters of our thoughts.  Sometimes our minds don't seem to be in our own control.

To whom can we turn? When there is no refuge in the world?  When there are no answers?  When there is no known cure?

There is a place, a person, to which I have always, and will always continue to turn.

Sometimes there is only one balm in Gilead.   Sometimes there is only one place we can look for comfort, for direction.  Sometimes there is only one person who will understand.   Sometimes there is only one direction to look for help. 

This is my savior, Jesus Christ.

I love him with all my heart.

Tonight I am so grateful for him, for I know he is bearing me up.   Tonight I am so grateful for my faith, for my knowledge that he has always been there for me, that he will continue to be there for me, through whatever trial and hardship - whether internal or external -  that I may face. 

I know God hears and helps me when I pray.  I am so grateful for that.  Sometimes the answers come slowly. Sometimes they even come painfully.  But I know he answers.

And I pray tonight the answers come quickly.  I need God's love and support.  I need strength.  I need Jesus, my Savior, to care for me now as he has in times of old. 

Amen. 



4 comments:

  1. I've been using you :-) - that is, I have been practising against your youtube recording of the (insanely difficult) Ravel piano concerto. I have to play first horn in a few weeks.

    Somehow, just looking at you in youtube, I thought you were likely a Christian. Something in your reflexion above rather touched my heart.

    Will be going this afternoon down to the church for prayer for a time - New Zealand's government is trying to pass a law that would change the very nature of marriage (same-sex marriage, but I feel it goes much deeper than that), and we are having a prayer afternoon. I will mention you also in prayer (and will also be asking St Cecilia to pray for me when I have to perform this thing :-)).

    Just saying hello and God bless you in your music!

    jj

    http://inquietumcor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I just now discovered your comment on my blog. Thank you so much for that. I am flattered and happy that you used my recording of the Ravel to practice with! (I used Martha Argerich's recording to practice with ;-). Thank you for your prayers, as well. I will offer one in thanks for you now, too! :-)

      How did your performance go?

      Delete
  2. I did a reply to the e-mail notification I got but it hasn't showed up here, so here it was:

    Not sure if this reply will get to you – but …

    It went very well – since I wasn’t playing that terrifying first horn part 

    But I live in a state of … well, not exactly anxiety, but concern … about our next concert (24 August). We are playing Mahler 1 – I am third horn again. Lots of high, fast stuff, and I just don’t get the time to practise much.

    I get to know a particular performer’s rendition of something I am getting ready for quite intimately, because I practise against the youtube version of it over and over again, until we have our first rehearsals (never after that! Once I am working with my conductor’s version, I am scared I will get confused by thinking of the youtube one as ‘canonical’ in my brain), so I got to know yours of the Ravel very well – and loved it.

    Thank God for youtube! I used to practise against an audio recording, which is fine – but having even bits of a conductor to see – or, for the matter of that, seeing the orchestra moving – helps keep me in tempo.


    jj

    John Thayer Jensen,
    System Administrator, Digital Services,
    The University of Auckland Business School

    Room 260-4136, 12 Grafton Road

    DDI: +64 9 923-7543
    Mobile (work): +64 21 83-3586
    quickdial: 60001
    FAX: +64 9 373-7696

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did get your reply, since I am right now online with my blog. Sometimes my comments on here slip past me though. Thank God for Youtube, indeed! I'm so happy I have such an amazing interface to both find recordings and share my own music through. Good luck with the Mahler!

      Delete