Thoughts, poetry, music, events, and reflections from the spiritual side of life and music by Jacquelyn Weitz.




"The Lord is My Light" Psalm 27:1

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Struggles


"I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me."
... 2 Nephi 4:18

Why even when our greatest desires are to do good, it is still so difficult not to wander off the path that God would have us follow?  Why do sins so easily beset me? Jesus was certainly right when he said, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak".
Nonetheless, as Nephi also said - "I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions...he hath filled me with his love." (2 Nephi 4:19-21)

The more I live, the more I realize just how much forgiveness is a gift from Christ for ALL of us, for which we all have great need, because we all make mistakes, and we all commit sins which cause ourselves and others harm. I realize more and more that repentence is one of the first principles of the gospel because it is an absolutely essential process for each of us, that we might come to a knowledge of our wrongs, that we might be humble, that we might learn to overcome them, and that we might be washed clean through Christ's atoning sacrifice.
      "All we like sheep have gone astray"... but through Christ, "though our sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow, though they be as crimson, they shall be as wool."
       This is a great comfort to me as I stumble through this road they call "Life", that even though I make mistakes, though I falter and I fall again and again and again - I know that if I keep trying, if I keep looking with steadfastness towards Christ, eventually he will help me to overcome all of my weaknesses.

Jesus said:  "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

And in Ether he said:
 "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."  (Ether12: 27)

Oh, how I want God to make my weaknesses strong!   But I know I must be patient and trust in him.

One of my very favorite scriptures is Moroni 7:48:
 "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons [and daughters!] of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment